Marx and the alternative to capitalism [electronic resource] / Kieran Allen
- Allen, Kieran, 1954-
- London : Pluto Press, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- vi, 233 p. ; 22 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Rebel with a cause -- A for profit society -- Alienation -- Social class -- Gender and race -- How we are kept in line -- Historical materialism -- Crash : how the system implodes -- Utopia or revolution -- After the revolution -- The economics of socialism -- Into the beyond.
- "Dispensing with the dryness of traditional explanations of Marx, Kieran Allen shows how Marx's ideas apply to modern society. The first section briefly outlines Marx's life and the development of his work, then goes on to clearly explain his key theories, including historical materialism and surplus value. The second section examines alternatives to capitalism, the concept of 'anti-capitalism' and provides concrete, contemporary examples of Marx's theories being put into practice in today's world. This book provides a crucial alternative introduction to Marx for undergraduates in sociology and politics"--p. 4 of cover.
- 9780745330020, 0745330029 (pbk.), 9780745330037 (hbk.), and 0745330037 (hbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 221-228) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19502026