Maya intellectual renaissance [electronic resource] : identity, representation, and leadership / Victor D. Montejo
- Montejo, Victor, 1951-
- Austin : University of Texas Press, 2005.
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- xxii, 236 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction -- Maya identity and interethnic relations -- Pan-Mayanism : the complexity of Maya culture and the process of self-representation -- Representation via ethnography : mapping the Maya image in a Guatemalan primary-school social-studies textbook -- The multiplicity of Maya voices : Maya leadership and the politics of self-representation -- Truth, human rights, and representation : the case of Rigoberta Menchú -- The ethnohistory of Maya leadership -- Theoretical basis and strategies for Maya leadership -- Maya ways of knowing : modern Maya and the elders -- Leadership and Maya intellectuality -- Indigenous rights, security, and democracy in the Americas : the Guatemalan situation -- The twenty-first century and the future of the Maya in Guatemala.
- 0292706847 (cloth : alk. paper)
0292709390 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references p. (-222) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19503055