Networks of power [electronic resource] : political relations in the late postclassic Naco Valley, Honduras / Edward Schortman and Patricia Urban
- Schortman, Edward M.
- Boulder, Colo. : University Press of Colorado, c2011.
- Physical Description:
- xx, 277 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Urban, Patricia A. (Patricia Ann), 1950-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Little is known about how Late Postclassic populations in southeast Mesoamerica organized their political relations. Networks of Power fills gaps in the knowledge of this little-studied area, reconstructing the course of political history in the Naco Valley from the fourteenth through early sixteenth centuries. --
Describing the material and behavioral patterns pertaining to the Late Postclassic period using components of three settlements in the Naco Valley of northwestern Honduras, the book focuses on how contests for power shaped political structures. Power-seeking individuals, including but not restricted to ruling elites, depended on network of allies to support their political objectives. Ongoing and partially successful competitions waged within networks led to the incorporation of exotic ideas and imported items into the daily practices of all Naco Valley occupants. The result was a fragile hierarchical structure forever vulnerable to the initiatives of agents operating on local and distant stages. --
Networks of Power describes who was involved in these competitions and in which network drew participated; what resources were mustered within these webs; which projects were fueled by these assets; and how, and to what extent, they contributed to the achievement of political aims. --Book Jacket.
- Mayas—Honduras—Naco Valley—Kings and rulers
- Mayas—Honduras—Naco Valley—Politics and government
- Mayas—Honduras—Naco Valley—Antiquities
- Power (Social sciences)—Honduras—Naco Valley
- Elite (Social sciences)—Honduras—Naco Valley
- Excavations (Archaeology)—Honduras—Naco Valley
- Social archaeology—Honduras—Naco Valley
- Naco Valley (Honduras)—Antiquities
- 9781607320623 (hardcover : alk. paper)
1607320622 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 245-269) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19510961