New worlds of violence [electronic resource] : cultures and conquests in the early American Southeast / Matthew Jennings
- Jennings, Matthew, 1976-
- Knoxville : University of Tennessee Press, c2011.
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- xxxiv, 270 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction : cultures of violence -- Violence in the Mississippian world -- Spanish and Mississippian violence -- The fight for Florida -- Violence after the entrada -- Creating English conquest -- Violence and the founding of English Carolina -- Violence in the era of the Yamasee War -- American nations, American violence.
- Violence—Southern States—History—17th century
- Violence—Southern States—History—18th century
- Indians of North America—First contact with Europeans—Southern States
- Indians of North America—Southern States—History—Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775
- Indians of North America—Wars—1600-1750
- Indians of North America—Wars—Southern States
- White people—Southern States—Relations with Indians
- Southern States—History—Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775
- Southern States—Discovery and exploration—Spanish
- Southern States—Discovery and exploration—British
- 9781572337565 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19512403