American abyss [electronic resource] : savagery and civilization in the age of industry / Daniel E. Bender
- Bender, Daniel E.
- Ithaca : Cornell University Press, 2009.
- Physical Description:
- x, 329 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Cavemen in the progressive era : from savagery to industry -- Mapping civilization : race, industry, and climate in the American empire -- The other colonies : immigration, race conquest, and the survival of the unfit -- Cave girls and working women : the white man's world of race suicide -- Exploring the abyss and segregating savagery : abroad at home in the immigrant colony -- Dredging the abyss : babies, boys, and civilization -- Of jukes and immigrants : eugenics and the problem of race betterment -- Following the monkey : blond beasts and the rising tide of color in war and revolution -- Failing of art and science : the abyss in a new era.
- Industries—Social aspects—United States—History
- Eugenics—Social aspects—United States—History
- Foreign workers—United States—History
- Women—Employment—United States—History
- Minorities—Employment—United States—History
- United States—Economic conditions—1865-1918
- United States—Social conditions—1865-1918
- United States—Civilization—1865-1918
- 9780801445989 (cloth : alk. paper) and 0801445981 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19521994