American horror film [electronic resource] : the genre at the turn of the millennium / edited by Steffen Hantke
- Jackson : University Press of Mississippi, c2010.
- Physical Description:
- xxxii, 253 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Hantke, Steffen, 1962-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- They don't make 'em like they used to: on the rhetoric of crisis and the current state of American horror cinema / Steffen Hantke -- Bloody America: critical reassessments of the trans/-national and of graphic violence. The American horror film? Globalization and transnational U.S.-Asian genres / Christina Klein -- A Parisian in Hollywood: ocular horror in the films of Alexandre Aja / Tony Perrello -- "The pound of flesh which I demand": American horror cinema, gore, and the box office, 1998-2007 / Blair Davis and Kial Natale -- A (post)modern house of pain: FearDotCom and the prehistory of the post-9/11 torture film / Reynold Humphries -- The usual suspects: trends and transformations in the subgenres of American horror film. Teenage traumata: youth, affective politics, and the contemporary American horror film / Pamela Craig and Martin Fradley -- Traumatic childhood now included: Todorov's fantastic and the uncanny slasher remake / Andrew Patrick Nelson -- Whither the serial killer movie? / Philip L. Simpson -- A return to the graveyard: notes on the spiritual horror film / James Kendrick -- Look back in horror: managing the canon of American horror film. Auteurdämmerung: David Cronenberg, George A. Romero, and the twilight of (North) American horror auteur / Craig Bernardini -- How the masters of horror master their personae: self-fashioning at play in the Masters of horror DVD extras / Ben Kooyman -- "The kids of today should defend themselves against the '70s": simulating auras and marketing nostalgia in Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino's Grindhouse / Jay McRoy -- Afterword. Memory, genre, and self-narrativization, or, why I should be a more content horror fan / David Church.
- 9781604734539 (cloth : alk. paper), 1604734531 (cloth : alk. paper), 9781604734546 (ebook), and 160473454X (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19522285