Anti-porn [electronic resource] : the resurgence of anti-pornography feminism / Julia Long
- Long, Julia
- London ; New York : Zed Books, c2012.
- Physical Description:
- 246 p. ; 22 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Anti-porn feminism and the women's liberation movement -- Pornography and the feminist divide -- Pornification and its discontents -- Reactivating dissent : feminist anti-porn activism in the UK.
- "Anti-porn feminism is back. Countering the ongoing 'pornification' of Western culture and society, with lads' mags on the middle shelf and lap-dancing clubs in residential areas, anti-porn movements are re-emerging among a new generation of feminist activists worldwide. This essential new guide to the problems with porn starts with a history of modern pro and anti political stances before examining the ways in which the new arguments and campaigns around pornography are articulated, deployed and received. Drawing on original ethnographic research, it provides an in-depth analysis of the groups campaigning against the pornography industry today, as well as some eye-opening facts about the damage porn can do to women and society as a whole. This unique and inspiring book explains the powerful comeback of anti-porn feminism, and it controversially challenges liberal perspectives and the mainstreaming of a porn culture that threatens to change the very nature of our intimate relationships"--Publisher's website.
- 9781780320267 (hardback), 1780320264 (hardback), 9781780320250 (paperback), and 1780320256 (paperback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 217-239) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19524535