Best care anywhere [electronic resource] : why VA health care would work better for everyone / Phillip Longman
- Longman, Phillip
- San Francisco : Berrett-Koehler Publishers, c2012.
- 3rd ed.
- Physical Description:
- xliv, 176 p. : port. ; 22 cm.
- BK currents book
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Best Care Anywhere -- Hitting Bottom -- Revenge of the Hard Hats -- VistA in Action -- The Kizer Revolution -- Safety First -- Who Cares about Quality? -- When Less Is More -- Open-Source Medicine -- The Electronic Medical Records Movement -- Growing the VA -- The Vista Life Network Epilogue.
- "Once denigrated for shoddy care and antiquated systems, the VA health system has become a hallmark of excellence and technical innovation. Best Care Anywhere uses the VA turnaround to illustrate deeper lessons for the U.S. health care system. In particular, it shows how fee-for-service healthcare leads to more expensive, less comprehensive, and less effective healthcare. Takeaway: efficient electronic medical records are the secret key to better health outcomes. New to this edition is a particular focus on the trials and tribulations of "Obamacare," the Ryan proposal, and the fiscal crisis. It also includes new success stories of "exporting" the VA VistA system in West Virginia and Texas as well as completely updated statistics and research, including 2011 cancer studies by Harvard University that prove VA cancer patients outlive cancer patients in traditional healthcare."--Provided by publisher.
- 9781609945176 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 151-166) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19530260