Beyond blackface [electronic resource] : African Americans and the creation of American popular culture, 1890-1930 / edited by W. Fitzhugh Brundage
- Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, c2011.
- Physical Description:
- vii, 373 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Brundage, W. Fitzhugh (William Fitzhugh), 1959-
- H. Eugene and Lillian Youngs Lehman series
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Black misrepresentation in nineteenth-century sheet music illustration / Stephanie Dunson -- Creating an image in Black : the power of abolition pictures / John Stauffer -- The real thing / David Krasner -- Black creativity and Black stereotype : rethinking twentieth-century popular music in America / Susan Curtis -- Crossing boundaries : Black musicians who defied musical genres / Thomas Riis -- Our newcomers to the city : the great migration and the making of modern mass culture / Davarian L. Baldwin -- Buying and selling with God : African American religion, race records, and the emerging culture of mass consumption in the South / John M. Giggie -- The secret life of Oscar Micheaux : race films, contested histories, and modern American culture / Robert Jackson -- Hear me talking to you : the blues and the romance of rebellion / Grace Elizabeth Hale -- At the feet of Dessalines : performing Hait's revolution during the new Negro renaissance / Clare Corbould -- The Black eagle of Harlem / Shane White ... [et al.] -- More than a prizefight : Joe Louis, Max Schmeling, and the transnational politics of boxing / Lewis A. Erenberg.
- 9780807834626 (cloth : alk. paper)
0807834629 (cloth : alk. paper)
9780807871843 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0807871842 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19530652