The blue banner [electronic resource] : the Presbyterian Church of Saint David and Presbyterian witness in Halifax / Barry Cahill ... [et al.].
- Montreal : Published for Presbyterian Church of Saint David by McGill-Queen's University Press, c2008.
- Physical Description:
- x, 324 p.,  p. of plates : ill., ports. ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Cahill, Barry and Presbyterian Church of Saint David (Halifax, N.S.)
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction: "The Church on Pizza Corner" -- Pt. 1. Origins -- 1. Church Union: Movement and Resistance -- 2. "Union" Disruption -- 3. Death and Resurrection -- Pt. 2. Ministers -- 4. Colin MacKay Kerr -- 5. Frank Lawson -- 6. Donald Bruce Mackay -- 7. John Pace -- 8. Donald Laurence DeWolfe -- Pt. 3. Congregational Life -- 9. Congregation -- 10. Worship -- 11. Music -- 12. Mission and Outreach -- 13. Voluntary Organizations -- 14. Expansion -- 15. Church Property -- App. A. Glossary -- App. B. Constitution ("Eight Resolutions") -- App. C. Elders and Trustees.
- "The Blue Banner is a case study of the survival of historic denominationalism grounded in resistance to church union. It traces the origins and near demise of Presbyterianism in Nova Scotia and the development of Saint David's from its beginnings as a new congregation and the only site of Presbyterianism witness in metropolitan Halifax. The authors look at various aspects of congregational life - corporate structure and governance, education, worship and music, volunteerism, mission and outreach, and stewardship of the historic site and building that has been home to Saint David's since the beginning."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9780773533585 (bound) and 0773533583 (bound)
- Limited edition of 600 copies.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19532802