Building their own Waldos [electronic resource] : Emerson's first biographers and the politics of life-writing in the Gilded Age / by Robert D. Habich
- Habich, Robert D., 1951-
- Iowa City : University of Iowa Press, c2011.
- Physical Description:
- xxviii, 186 p. ; 23 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction: building their own Waldos -- A genre in transition: biography in the 1880s -- An act of wholesome and pure-hearted admiration: Emerson's first biographer, George Willis Cooke -- Biographers and the pornographer: Conway, Ireland, and "Emerson and his friends" -- Diagnosing the gentle iconoclast: Dr. Holmes on Emerson -- Authorizing Emerson's biography: Cabot and/or Edward Emerson -- Shelf life: the legacy of Emerson's first biographies.
- 9781587299629 (pbk : alk. paper)
1587299623 (pbk : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19535221