Challenge accepted [electronic resource] : a Finnish immigrant response to industrial America in Michigan's copper country / Gary Kaunonen
- Kaunonen, Gary
- East Lansing : Michigan State University Press, c2010.
- Physical Description:
- xxv, 255 p.,  p. of plates : ill., maps ; 23 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Finnish immigration and settlement in a Hancock, Michigan neighborhood -- Finnish immigrant cultural organizations and the "Finn Hall" -- Finnish immigrant socialist-unionists in Hancock -- The early existence of the Työmies Publishing Company, 1904-09 -- The Työmies Publishing Company reaches maturity, 1910-1913 -- The 1913-14 copper country strike -- Gun hounds, scabs, and tragedy -- Conclusion -- Epilogue -- Appendix 1: Työmies Publishing Company staff and contributors, 1909 -- Appendix 2: Työmies Publishing Company interior use of space, 1913 -- Appendix 3: Copper territory strikers' march, 1913 -- Appendix 4: Työmies Publishing Company's composite list of Italian Hall deceased, 1913.
- Työmies Publishing Company—History
- Finnish Americans—Michigan—Hancock—History
- Finnish Americans—Michigan—Hancock—Social life and customs
- Finnish Americans—Michigan—Hancock—Social conditions
- Working class—Michigan—Hancock—History
- Labor unions—Michigan—Hancock—History
- Hancock (Mich.)—History
- Hancock (Mich.)—Social conditions
- Hancock (Mich.)—Ethnic relations
- 9780870138737 (paper : alk. paper)
0870138731 (paper : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19538807