The challenge of legislation [electronic resource] : bipartisanship in a partisan world / John L. Hilley
- Hilley, John L.
- Washington, D.C. : Brookings Institution Press, c2008.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 276 p. ; 23 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction -- We're fixing a hole -- Launch -- Circle 'round the consumer price index -- The handoff -- Staking out territory -- Offer and counteroffer -- An agreement -- What was that we agreed to? -- The center must hold -- The challenge of reconciliation -- House on fire -- Tax tribulations -- Into the hands of the leaders -- Taxes and death -- The triumph of responsibility -- Postscript : the limits and potential of bipartisanship -- Appendixes -- A. primer on the budget process -- B. key budget terms -- C. chronology of important dates -- D. list of participants.
- "Insider's account of the bipartisan passage of the Balanced Budget Act of 1997. Weaves together detailed narrative and portraits of key players and offers unique insight into the relationship between party leaders and their rank-and-file, the interplay between elected officials and their staff, and the delicate art of partisan negotiations"--Provided by publisher.
- 9780815736547 (cloth : alk. paper)
0815736541 (cloth : alk. paper)
9780815736530 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0815736533 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 255-267) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19538829