The children of Chinatown [electronic resource] : growing up Chinese American in San Francisco, 1850-1920 / Wendy Rouse Jorae
- Rouse, Wendy L.
- Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, c2009.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 295 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction: Constructing childhood in early Chinatown : image versus reality -- The immigration of Chinese children and the Chinese question -- Recentering the Chinese family in early Chinese American history -- For the family back home : Chinese children at work -- Challenging segregation : Chinese children at school -- Articles of contention : Chinese children in the missions and courts -- Children of the new Chinatown -- Conclusion: Constructing the future.
- Chinese Americans—California—San Francisco—History
- Chinese American children—California—San Francisco—History
- Children—California—San Francisco—History
- Chinese American families—California—San Francisco—History
- Chinatown (San Francisco, Calif.)—History
- Chinatown (San Francisco, Calif.)—Social life and customs
- Chinatown (San Francisco, Calif.)—Social conditions
- San Francisco (Calif.)—History
- San Francisco (Calif.)—Social life and customs
- San Francisco (Calif.)—Ethnic relations
- 9780807833131 (cloth : alk. paper)
0807833134 (cloth : alk. paper)
9780807859735 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0807859737 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19539882