Class not dismissed [electronic resource] : reflections on undergraduate education and teaching the liberal arts / Anthony Aveni
- Aveni, Anthony F.
- Boulder, Colorado : University Press of Colorado, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- ix, 223 pages ; 23 cm
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- "In Class Not Dismissed, award-winning professor Anthony Aveni tells the personal story of his six decades in college classrooms and some of the 10,000 students who have filled them. Through anecdotes of his own triumphs and tribulations--some amusing, others heartrending--Aveni reveals his teaching story and thoughts on the future of higher education. Although in recent years the lecture has come under fire as a pedagogical method, Aveni ardently defends lecturing to students. He shares his secrets on crafting an engaging lecture and creating productive dialogue in class discussions. He lays out his rules on classroom discipline and tells how he promotes the lost art of listening. He is a passionate proponent of the liberal arts and core course requirements as well as a believer in sound teaching promoted by active scholarship. Aveni is known to his students as a consummate storyteller. In Class Not Dismissed he shares real stories about everyday college life that shed light on serious educational issues. The result is a humorous, reflective, inviting, and powerful inquiry into higher education that will be of interest to anyone invested in the current and future state of college and university education. "--
- 9781607323020 (paperback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 19541516