- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction -- Hearing, reading, and remembering James Welch (1940-2003). Kathryn W. Shanley interview; Owen Perkins interview; Cindy Heidemann interview -- From James Welch's The Marseille grace -- On researching Marseille grace/Heartsong, 1994-96 / Lois M. Welch; Welch relations: uncovering the history, recovering the story/ John Purdy -- Reprinted essays. "A world away from his people": James Welch's The heartsong of Charging Elk and the Indian historical novel / James J. Donahue; Ghost dance literature: spectrality in Heartsong / Ulla Haselstein; Tribal or transnational? memory, history, and identity in Heartsong / Hans Bak -- Original essays. The unexpected Indian in Heartsong / Amanda Cobb-Greetham; "Looking for the way back": displacement, diaspora, and desire in Heartsong / Kathryn W. Shanley; Issues of identity / Arnold Krupat; The fatal blow job / Craig Womack; History, language, and culture in Heartsong / Arnold Krupat; Native presence and survivance in Heartsong / James Ruppert.
- "Literary companion to James Welch's The Heartsong of Charging Elk that includes an unpublished chapter of "The Marseille Grace," personal interviews with the author, an essay by the author's widow, and essays by leading scholars in the field" --
- 9780803254329 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 19543967