Complicating constructions [electronic resource] : race, ethnicity, and hybridity in American texts / edited by David S. Goldstein and Audrey B. Thacker
- Seattle : University of Washington Press, c2007. (Baltimore, Md. : Project MUSE, 2012)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xxviii, 320 p. :) ill
- Additional Creators:
- Thacker, Audrey B., Goldstein, David S., and Project Muse
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Citizenship rights and colonial whites: the cultural work of María Amparo Ruiz de Burton's novels / Jesse Alemán -- Testifying bodies: citizenship debates in Bret Harte's Gabriel Conroy / Andrea Tinnemeyer -- The color of money in The autobiography of an ex-colored man / Ariel Balter -- Passing as the "tragic" mulatto: constructions of hybridity in Toni Morrison's novels / AnnaMarie Christiansen -- Re-viewing the literary Chinatown: multicultural hybridity in Gish Jen's Mona in the promised land / Jeffrey F. L. Partridge -- Reading The Turner diaries: Jewish blackness, judaized blacks, and head-body race paradigms / Joe Lockard -- Smallpox, opium, and invasion: Chinese invasion, white guilt, and Native American displacement in late nineteenth- and early twentieth-century American fiction / Edwin J. McAllister -- Visualizing race in American immigrant autobiography / Georgina Dodge -- Maud Martha vs. I love Lucy: taking on the postwar consumer fantasy / Tracy Floreani -- Some do, some don't: whiteness theory and the treatment of race in African American drama / William Over -- Traumatic legacy in Darryl Pinckney's High cotton / Alexandra W. Schultheis -- Portnoy's neglected siblings: a case for postmodern Jewish American literary studies / Derek Parker Royal -- Tension, conversation, and collectivity: examining the space of double consciousness in the search for shared knowledge / Sheree Meyer, Chauncey Ridley, & Olivia Castellano -- When hybridity doesn't resist: Giannina Braschi's Yo-yo boing! / Jose L. Torres-Padilla.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19544477