The cost of being poor [electronic resource] : a comparative study of life in poor urban neighborhoods in Gary, Indiana / Sandra L. Barnes
- Barnes, Sandra L.
- Albany : State University of New York Press, c2005.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 275 p. : ill., map ; 23 cm.
- SUNY series, the new inequalities
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction : structure vs. agency and the poor urban experience -- The economics of the poor urban experience -- Space usage and cost differentials in Gary, Indiana : counting the costs -- Differential goods and services to feed a family : who pays the costs? -- Differential goods and services to clothe a family : who pays the costs? -- A tale of three families : impracticality costs -- Socio-psychological effects of daily exposure to poverty-related constraints : coping with the costs -- Conclusion : a thesis on the poor urban experience.
- 0791464679 (hardcover : alk. paper) and 0791464687 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 249-262) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19547460