Creative mathematics [electronic resource] / H.S. Wall
- Wall, H. S. (Hubert Stanley), 1902-1971
- Washington, DC : Mathematical Association of America, 2009.
- Rev. ed.
- Physical Description:
- xx, 195 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Classroom resource materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Short biography of H.S. Wall -- Numbers -- Ordered number pairs -- Slope -- Combinations of simple graphs -- Theorems about simple graphs -- The simple graphs of trigonometry -- The integral -- Computation formulas obtained by means of the integral -- Simple graphs made to order -- More about integrals -- Simple surfaces -- Successive approximations -- Linear spaces of simple graphs -- More about linear spaces -- Mechanical systems -- Integral tables -- Index of simple graphs -- Glossary of definitions.
- "Professor H.S. Wall wrote Creative Mathematics with the intention of leading students to develop their mathematical abilities, helping them learn the art of mathematics, and teaching them to create mathematical ideas. Creative Mathematics, according to Wall, "is not a compendium of mathematical facts and inventions to be read over as a connoisseur of art looks over paintings. It is, instead, a sketchbook in which readers try their hands at mathematical discovery." The book is self-contained and assumes little formal mathematical background on the part of the reader. Wall is earnest about developing mathematical creativity and independence in students. Wall developed Creative Mathematics over a period of many years of working with students at the University of Texas at Austin. In fewer than 200 pages, he takes the reader on a stimulating tour starting with numbers and then moving on to simple graphs, the integral, simple surfaces, successive approximations, linear spaces of simple graphs, and concluding with mechanical systems. The student who has worked through Creative Mathematics will come away with heightened mathematical maturity."--P.  of cover.
- 9780883857502 and 0883857502
- Includes index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19548352