The cultural politics of slam poetry [electronic resource] : race, identity, and the performance of popular verse in America / Susan B. A. Somers-Willett
- Somers-Willett, Susan B. A., 1973-
- Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, c2009.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 191 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- On page and stage: slam poetry as a genre -- Poetry and the people: the cultural tensions of American popular verse in performance -- I sing the body authentic: slam poetry and the cultural politics of performing identity -- "Commercial niggas like me": spoken word poetry, hip-hop, and the racial politics of going mainstream.
- 9780472070596 (cloth : alk. paper), 0472070592 (cloth : alk. paper), 9780472050598 (pbk. : alk. paper), and 0472050591 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 169-178) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19549877