The development of pre-state communities in the ancient Near East [electronic resource] : studies in honour of Edgar Peltenburg / edited by Diane Bolger and Louise C. Maguire
- Oxford : Oakville, CT : Oxbow Books, c2010.
- Physical Description:
- x, 224 p. : ill., maps ; 29 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Bolger, Diane, 1954-, Maguire, Louise C. (Louise Clare), Peltenburg, E. J., and British Association for Near Eastern Archaeology
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- The development of pre-state communities in the ancient Near East / Diane Bolger and Louise C. Maguire -- pt. 1. Social organisation and complexity in pre-state communities -- Social complexity and archaeology : a contextual approach / Marc Verhoeven -- Late Neolithic architectural renewal : the emergence of round houses in the northern Levant, c. 6500-6000 BC / Peter M.M.G. Akkermans -- Abandonment processes and closure ceremonies in prehistoric Cyprus : in search of ritual / Demetra Papaconstantinou -- A different Chalcolithic : a central Cypriot scene / David Frankel -- Thoughts on the function of "public buildings" in the early Bronze Age southern Levant / Hermann Genz -- pt. 2. Early urban communities and the emergence of the state -- The Tell : social archaeology and territorial space / Tony Wilkinson -- Rethinking Kalopsidha : from specialisation to state marginalisation / Lindy Crewe -- From kin to class--and back again! : changing paradigms of the early polity / Anne Porter -- Different models of power structuring at the rise of hierarchical societies in the Near East : primary economy versus luxury and defence management / Marcella Frangipane -- States of hegemony : early forms of political contol in Syria during the 3rd millennium BC / Lisa Cooper -- pt. 3. Techology, economy, and society -- A household affair? : pottery production in the Burnt Village at late Neolithic Tell Sabi Abyad / Olivier Nieuwenhuyse -- Late Cypriot ceramic production : heterarchy or hierarchy? / Louise Steel -- The domestication of stone : early lime plaster technology in the Levant / Gordon Thomas -- Domestication of plants and animals, domestication of symbols? / Danielle Stordeur -- Herds lost in time : animal remains from the 1969-1970 excavation seasons at the ceramic Neolithic settlement of Philia-Drakos site A, Cyprus / Paul Croft -- pt. 4. Agency, identity, and gender -- Agency in the pre-pottery Neolithic A / Bill Finlayson -- Understanding symbols : putting meaning into the painted pottery of prehistoric northern Mesopotamia / Stuart Campbell -- Gender and social complexity in prehistoric and protohistoric Cyprus / Diane Bolger -- The painting process of white painted and white slip wares : communities of practice / Louise C. Maguire -- The ceramic industry of Deneia : crafting community and place in middle Bronze Age Cyprus / Jennifer M. Webb -- pt. 5. Insularity, ethnicity, and cultural interaction -- Outside the corridor? : the neolithisation of Cyprus / Carole McCartney -- Contextualising Neolithic Cyprus : preliminary investigations into connections between Cyprus and the Near East in the later Neolithic / Joanne Clarke -- Was Çatalhöyük a centre? : the implications of a late aceramic Neolithic assemblage from the neighbourhood of Çatalhöyük / Douglas Baird -- The birth of ethnicity in Iran : Mesopotamian-Elamite cross-cultural relations in late prehistory / Andrew McCarthy.
- "British Association for Near Eastern Archaeology (BANEA)."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 19553691