Dictators at war and peace [electronic resource] / Jessica L. P. Weeks
- Weeks, Jessica L. P.
- Ithaca ; London : Cornell University Press, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 247 pages ; 24 cm
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Authoritarian regimes and the domestic politics of war and peace -- Audiences, preferences, and decisions about war -- Hypotheses, implications, and cases -- Initiating international conflict -- Measuring authoritarian regime type -- Modeling the initiation of international conflict -- Results -- Winners, losers, and survival -- Selecting wars -- War outcomes in the past century -- Outcomes of militarized interstate disputes, 1946-2000 -- The consequences of defeat -- Personalist dictators: shooting from the hip -- Saddam Hussein and the 1990 invasion of Kuwait -- Josef Stalin: a powerful but loose cannon -- Juntas: using the only language they understand -- Argentina and the Falklands/Malvinas war -- Japan's road to World War II -- Machines: looking before they leap -- The North Vietnamese wars against the US, South Vietnam, and Cambodia -- The Soviet Union in the post-Stalin era -- Conclusion: dictatorship, war, and peace.
- 9780801452963 (cloth : alk. paper) and 9780801479823 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 221-239) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19554173