Domestic violence and the law in colonial and postcolonial Africa [electronic resource] / edited by Emily Burrill, Richard Roberts, and Elizabeth Thornberry
- New African histories series
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- pt. 1. Domestic violence, relationships of servitude, and the family. Domestic violence, colonial courts, and the end of slavery in French Soudan, 1905-12 / Emily Burrill and Richard Roberts -- Domestic violence and child circulation in the Southeastern Gold Coast, 1905-28 / Cati Coe -- Continuum of gendered violence : the colonial invention of female desertion as a customary criminal offense, French Soudan, 1900-1949 / Marie Rodet -- Violated domesticity in Italian East Africa, 1937-40 / Martina Salvante -- pt. 2. Narating domestic violence. Sex, violence, and family in South Africa's Eastern Cape / Elizabeth Thornberry -- Child marriage and domestic violence : Islamic and colonial discourses on gender relations and female status in Zanzibar, 1900-1950s / Elke E. Stockreiter -- Fatal families : narratives of spousal killing and domestic violence in murder trials in Kenya and Nyasaland, c. 1930-56 / Stacey Hynd -- Domestic dramas and occult acts : witchcraft and violence in the arena of the intimate / Katherine Luongo -- pt. 3. Domestic violence, conjugal relationships, and the politics of the state in postcolonial Africa. "I killed her because she disobeyed me in wearing this new hairstyle..." : gender-based violence, laws, and impunity in Senegal / Codou Bop -- The logics of controversy : gender violence as a site of frictions in Ghanaian advocacy / Saida Hodžić -- Constructing law, contesting violence : the Senegalese family code and narratives of domestic abuse / Scott London -- Domestic violence as a human rights violation : the challenges of a regional human rights approach in Africa / Benedetta Faedi -- Finding gendered justice in the age of human rights / Pamela Scully.
- 9780821419281 (hc : alk. paper)
0821419285 (hc : alk. paper)
9780821419298 (pb : alk. paper)
0821419293 (pb : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 287-294) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19556032