Drugs, thugs, and divas [electronic resource] : telenovelas and narco-dramas in Latin America / by O. Hugo Benavides
- Benavides, O. Hugo (Oswald Hugo), 1968-
- Austin : University of Texas Press, 2008.
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- x, 233 p. ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Melodrama as ambiguous signifier: Latin American telenovelas and Narco-dramas -- Seeing Xica and the Melodramatic unveiling of colonial desire -- Producing the global west through latin tales of seduction and enby -- Karen's seduction: the racial politics of appropriate dinner guests -- A mother's wrath and the complex disjuncturing of class -- Being narco: the evolution of a continental sensibility -- Saintly figures and icons: the migration of a continental dream -- La reina del sur: Gender, racial, and national contestations of regional identity -- Sex, drugs, and cumbia: the hybrid nature of culture -- Conclusion: the postcolonial politics of melodrama -- Ugly Betty.
- 9780292714502 (cloth : alk. paper)
9780292717121 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -227) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19556677