Ellery's protest [electronic resource] : how one young man defied tradition & sparked the battle over school prayer / Stephen D. Solomon
- Solomon, Stephen D.
- Additional Titles:
- How one young man defied tradition and sparked the battle over school prayer
- Ann Arbor : The University of Michigan Press, c2009.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 414,  p. of plates : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Ellery's protest -- The making of a rebel -- Byse breaks the deadlock -- The sage and the upstart -- The colonists united church and state -- How religious diversity changed America -- Diversity forces religion from the schools -- Excessive religious zeal -- "Mr. Schempp, do you believe in the divinity of Christ?" -- Is the Bible sectarian? -- Why not recite the Navaho invocation to beauty? -- The race to the Supreme Court -- "Colored by our own experiences" -- Passion plays for all -- Back to Judge Biggs -- New York's "clay-footed pigeon" -- Fifty-one Buddhist children -- In chambers -- Days of Defiance -- Does Schempp have a future?
- 9780472033454 (pbk. : alk. paper)
047203345X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 357-390) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19559418