Envisioning black colleges [electronic resource] : a history of the United Negro College Fund / Marybeth Gasman ; foreword by John R. Thelin
- Gasman, Marybeth
- Baltimore : The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2007.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 269 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Black colleges and the origins of the United Negro College Fund -- Bringing the millionaires on board -- Flirting with social equality: New York's elite women raise funds -- A stigma of inferiority: the effect of Brown v. Board -- Responding to the black consciousness movement -- Speaking out on behalf of black colleges -- "A mind is a terrible thing to waste" -- An organization that no one could argue against.
- 9780801886041 (hdbk. : alk. paper)
080188604X (hdbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 215-259) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19561646