Choosing to lead : the motivational factors of underrepresented minority librarians in higher education / edited by Antonia P. Olivas, Ed.D.
- Chicago, Illinois : Association of College and Research Libraries, 2017.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xviii, 151 pages ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Olivas, Antonia P., Puente, Mark A., Baeza, Oscar, Jones, Shannon D., Baildon, Michelle, Lilton, Deborah, Evans, Meredith R., Escobar, Hector, Gray, Jody, and Le, Binh P.
- Foreword / Mark A. Puente -- Acknowledgments -- Introduction / Antonia P. Olivas -- Motivate, lead, inspire / Oscar Baeza -- Leadership begins with you / Shannon D. Jones -- Can you be a "troublemaker" without "making trouble?" : Reflections on self-development, self-acceptance, and unsettling the racialized workplace in the most productive way / Michelle Baildon -- Trying to fashion a world : facilitating the revolution with critical librarianship / Deborah Lilton -- Out of the box / Meredith R. Evans, PhD -- Using leadership to accomplish long-term goals / Hector Escobar -- Community building for success / Jody Gray -- Public service : a foundation of leadership development and attainment / Binh P. Le -- Conclusion / Antonia Olivas.
- "This collection of essays offers considerably more than an academic look at leadership development strategies. The stories offered here provide authentic and personal views, from highly diverse perspectives, about why one might pursue management or leadership positions in LIS, the challenges that people from historically underrepresented racial and ethnic minority groups face when they attempt to enter that landscape, and practical strategies for developing oneself to ensure success. Further, the authors take a holistic approach to the topic, challenging the reader to consider how issues of self-development, self-reflection, and self-care should be intrinsic to this process. A deep understanding of how our multiple identities connect and must be nurtured will allow us to reach our full potential as leaders in the workplace, in the profession, and beyond"--
- 9780838988879 (paperback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 19572437