Outsmart yourself : brain-based strategies to a better you / Peter M. Vishton
- Vishton, Peter M.
- Additional Titles:
- Brain-based strategies to a better you
- Chantilly, Va. : Teaching Company, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 12 audio discs (6 hr.) : digital ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 guidebook (202 pages : illustrations ; 19 cm).
- Additional Creators:
- Teaching Company
- The great courses ; Better living ; Health & wisdom
- Vol. 1. Disc 1. Take Control of Your Automatic Brain -- Beat Procrastination by Doing Nothing -- Disc 2. Train Yourself like a Dog -- Clean Your Kitchen, Improve Your Diet -- Disc 3. Eat Slow, Eat Small, Eat Smart -- The Myth of Multitasking -- Disc 4. Future You and Better Decisions -- How to Become an Expert on Anything -- Disc 5. Tune Up Your Brain with Meditation -- Take the Sleep Challenge -- Disc 6. Boost Insights and Creativity -- Enhance Performance with Imagery -- Vol. 2. Disc 7. Overcome Your Aging Brain -- Grow Your Brain Out of Depression -- Disc 8. Hack Your Brain to Unlearn Fear -- Use Your Body to Alter Your Mind -- Disc 9. Suppress, Don't Repress, Anger -- How Little Things Cause Big Persuasion -- Disc 10. How Framing Changes Decisions -- How Language Changes Your Brain -- Disc 11. How Your Brain Falls in Love -- The Neuroscience of Lasting Love -- Disc 12. How Your Brain Creates Happiness -- Happy Brains Are Smart Brains.
- What if you aren't as in control of your actions as you think you are? What if your subconscious is driving your decisions without your approval? Is there a way to "hack" your brain to perform better, live healthier, and break your bad habits? We all can think of things about ourselves we'd like to change, but as neuroscientists are coming to realize, changing our behaviors isn't as straightforward as you might think. Many of our everyday decisions are rooted in the subconscious, which means we have to “outsmart” our own brains to see results.
- 24 lectures, each 30 min.
In two containers (19 cm.).
Course no. 1670.
Program contains twenty-four lectures; the length of each lecture is: approx. 30 min.
Lecture notes and program information contained in course guidebook.
- Bibliography Note:
- Guidebook Includes bibliographical references (pages 192-200).
Includes bibliographical references (pages 192-200) in course guidebook.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Lectures by Professor Peter M. Vishton, College of William & Mary.
Lecturer: Professor Peter M. Vishton, William & Mary.
- Technical Details:
- Compact discs.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2017
View MARC record | catkey: 19572529