Vietnam : a History of the War / Russell Freedman
- Freedman, Russell, 1929-2018
- New York : Holiday House, 
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 150 pages : illustrations, map ; 27 cm
- The last man to die in Vietnam -- The Vietnamese: the long road to revolution -- Ho Chi Minh: the making of a revolutionary -- Ho Chi Minh meets the OSS -- The French war in Vietnam: the elephant and the tiger -- Tumbling dominoes -- Ngo Dinh Diem: America's miracle man in Saigon -- The last days of President Diem -- From the Tonkin Gulf to Rolling Thunder -- The American war in Vietnam -- The antiwar movement -- The Tet Offensive -- The beginning of the end -- The fall of Saigon -- Reconciliation.
- A comprehensive overview of one of the most controversial wars in America's history written by masterful children's historian and Newbery Medalist Russell Freedman. With prose that is clear, concise, and enthralling, Russell Freedman presents a detailed overview of the Vietnam war. Beginning with the rise of communism in Vietnam and detailing the increase of American involvement, Freedman then explains why, twenty years later, an exit was so difficult. In addition to explaining the complex beginnings of the conflict through the catastrophic damage the war caused, Freedman concludes with a hopeful epilogue on modern Vietnam. This is a definitive resource for young history readers as well as anyone who wants a concise and authoritative understanding of the Vietnam War, exploring both the American and Vietnamese perspectives. Freedman chronicles the history leading up to the war and the unfolding events in Vietnam and in the US as increasing numbers of young men were sent into the jungles to fight. Coverage includes the French war in Vietnam, the rise of Ho Chi Minh, the fall of President Diem, the Tonkin Gulf, the Tet Offensive, the My Lai massacre, the bombing of Cambodia, and the fall of Saigon, as well as the US anti-war movement. The book includes nearly 100 historic photographs and illustrations, as well as candid photographs showcasing the state of Vietnam today. A glossary, source notes, bibliography and index are included. --
- 9780823436583 (hardcover)
- Age level:: Children
Age level:: Preteens
Educational level group:: Fourth grade students
Educational level group:: Fifth grade students
Educational level group:: Sixth grade students
Educational level group:: Seventh grade students
Educational level group:: Eighth grade students
Educational level group:: Middle school students
Educational level group:: School children
- Audience Notes:
- 1220L lexile
Sentence length: 5 (very hard) Word frequency: 1 (very easy) Lexile.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 143-145) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19776530