The Civil War as global conflict [electronic resource] : transnational meanings of the American Civil War / edited by David T. Gleeson and Simon Lewis
- Columbia, South Carolina : University of South Carolina Press, 
- Physical Description:
- viii, 308 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Gleeson, David T. and Lewis, Simon, 1960-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Why civil war? : the politics of slavery in comparative perspective : the United States, Cuba, and Brazil / Edward B. Rugemer -- King Cotton, emperor slavery : antebellum slaveholders and the world economy / Matthew Karp -- "If it is still impossible to advocate slavery it has become a habit persistently to write down freedom" : Britain, the Civil War, and race / Hugh Dubrulle -- "Two irreconcilable peoples?" : ethnic nationalism in the Confederacy / James M. McPherson -- Proving their loyalty to the republic : English immigrants and the American Civil War / David T. Gleeson -- "A new expression of that entente cordiale"? : Russian-American relations and the fleet episode of 1863 / Alexander Noonan -- The Rhine River : the impact of the German states on transatlantic diplomacy / Niels Eichhorn -- Lex Talionis in the U.S. Civil War : retaliation and the limits of atrocity / Aaron Sheehan-Dean -- Fulfilling "the president's duty to communicate" : the Civil War and the creation of the Foreign relations of the United States series / Aaron W. Marrs -- "They had heard of emancipation and the enfranchisement of their race" : the African American colonists of Samaná, reconstruction, and the state of Santo Domingo / Christopher Wilkins -- Nurse as icon : Florence Nightingale's impact on women in the American Civil War / Jane E. Schultz -- Race, romance, and "the spectacle of unknowing" in Gone with the wind : a South African response / Lesley Marx -- Coda : roundtable on memory / O. Vernon Burton, Edmund L. Drago, W. Eric Emerson, Joseph McGill, Theodore N. Rosengarten, Amanda Foreman.
- 9781611173253 (hardbound : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19790382