Compact clinical guide to geriatric pain management [electronic resource] : an evidence-based approach for nurses / Ann Quinlan-Colwell
- Quinlan-Colwell, Ann
- New York : Springer, c2012.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 444 p. : ill. ; 21 cm.
- Compact clinical guide series
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Physiological factors and pain processing in the older adult -- The psychosocial impact of pain on the older adult patient -- Pain assessment in the older adult patient -- Pain assessment in the non-verbal, cognitively impaired older adult patient -- A review of pain assessment tools for use with the older adult -- Developing a comprehensive plan -- Choosing the right medication for the pain complaint -- Using adjunct medications for specific pain types -- Managing medication side effects and specific recommendations for using medications with older patients -- Interventional options such as vertebroplasty for compression fractures, nerve blocks, acupuncture -- Complementary methods for pain relief such as cognitive behavioral methods, energy techniques, music -- The role of physical therapy for reconditioning -- Palliative care techniques to promote comfort -- When hospice is the best option -- Arthritis and gout -- Chronic back pain and osteoporosis -- Neuropathic pain associated with post-herpetic neuralgia and diabetic neuropathy -- Central post stoke syndrome -- Facial pain associated with temporal arteritis and trigeminal neuralgia -- Rheumatological conditions (RA, polymyalgia rheumatica) -- Fibromyalgia -- Anxiety and depression in older adults -- Alcohol and substance use, misuse, and abuse.
- 9780826107305 (pbk.), 0826107303 (pbk.), and 9780826107312 (e-book)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19790830