The Maroons of Prospect Bluff and their quest for freedom in the Atlantic World [electronic resource] / Nathaniel Millett
- Millett, Nathaniel
- Gainesville : University Press of Florida, c2013.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 345 p. : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Edward Nicolls and the problem of war and slavery in the age of revolution -- War comes to the Southeast -- The British occupation of Pensacola -- Edward Nicolls and the Indians of the Southeast -- Edward Nicolls and his black allies -- Land, ecology, and size -- Community and culture -- Daily life -- Political and military organization -- Destruction -- The Seminole War.
- A study of the Prospect Bluff Maroon settlement on the Apalachicola River, examining how the former slaves were radicalized by anti-slavery advocate Edward Nicolls and arguably developed a self-consciously defined version of freedom to claim the full rights due to British subjects.
- 9780813044545 (alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 321-338) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19802565