The black figure in the European imaginary / Adrienne L. Childs, Susan H. Libby ; with an introduction by David Bindman
- Childs, Adrienne L.
- Winter Park, Florida : The Cornell Fine Arts Museum, Rollins College ; London : in association with D Giles Limited, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 80 pages : chiefly illustrations (some color) ; 28 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Libby, Susan Houghton
George D. and Harriet W. Cornell Fine Arts Museum
- Machine generated contents note: Director's Foreword / Ena Heller -- Curators' Acknowledgments / Susan H. Libby -- The Black Figure in the European Imaginary / David Bindman -- European Art and the Possibilities of Blackness / Susan H. Libby -- PLATES -- Exhibition Checklist -- Photo Credits.
- "With forty major loans, including paintings, engravings, lithographs, watercolors, sculpture, and decorative arts, this new volume studies the way in which the visual arts in Europe perceived, or imagined, the black figure during the "long" nineteenth century (ca.1750-1914)"--
- Art, European—19th century—Themes, motives—Exhibitions
- Art and society—Europe—History—19th century—Exhibitions
- ART / Criticism & Theory
- ART / Subjects & Themes / Human Figure
- SOCIAL SCIENCE / Black Studies (Global)
- ART / Collections, Catalogs, Exhibitions / General
- Art and society
- Art, European—Themes, motives
- Blacks in art
- Blacks in art—Exhibitions
- 9781907804496 paperback
- "This catalogue was published in conjunction with the exhibition The Black Figure in the European Imaginary, organized by the Cornell Fine Arts Museum at Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida, and held there from January 14 to May 14, 2017."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19814072