Lean and technology : working hand in hand to enable and energize your global supply chain / Paul A. Myerson
- Myerson, Paul
- Old Tappan, New Jersey : Pearson Education, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 293 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Machine generated contents note: ch. 1 Lean Supply Chain and Technology: A Perfect Combination -- It's a Small World After All -- How Big an Opportunity Is It? -- The Extended and Often Global Supply Chain and Technology -- Information Systems (IS) Versus Information Technology (IT) -- Risks and Rewards -- Linking Competitive Strategy to the Value Chain -- Competitive Strategy, Business Processes, and IT Structure Aligned -- Using the SCOR Model to Help Enable Lean Opportunities with Technology -- ch. 2 The Growing Importance of the Supply Chain and Technology to Business and Society -- Supply Chain Defined -- History of Supply Chain and Logistics Management -- The Role of Information Technology in the Supply Chain -- Supply Chain Information -- Interactive View of Information -- Importance of Integration for Sharing Information -- Viewpoints of Supply Chain Information Systems -- Supply Chain Macro Processes -- Supply Chain Information Technologies -- Supply Chain Technology Trends -- ch. 3 Lean Concepts and Their Applications in the Supply Chain -- Lean Background -- Value-Added Versus Non-Value-Added Activities -- Waste -- Lean Culture and Teamwork -- Elements of a Lean Supply Chain Strategy -- Basic Tools -- Advanced Tools -- Tools for Identifying and Solving Problems -- Lean, Supply Chain, and Technology -- ch. 4 Software and Hardware Sourcing Process and Applications of Supply Chain and Logistics Management Technology -- The Procurement Process -- Identify and Review Requirements -- Establish Specifications -- Identify and Select Suppliers -- Determine the Right Price -- Issue Purchase Orders -- Follow Up to Assure Correct Delivery -- Receive and Accept Goods -- Approve Invoice for Payment -- Software and Hardware Selection -- Phase 1-Planning and Budgeting -- Phase 2-Requirements Analysis -- Phase 3-Vendor Research -- Phase 4-Demonstrations -- Phase 5-Final Decision -- Phase 6-Contract Negotiation -- Implementation Partner/VAR Selection -- Make or Buy -- SCM System Costs and Options -- "Best-in-Class" Versus Single Integrated Solution -- Consultants -- Project Management -- Supply Chain Software Market -- Supply Chain Planning (SCP) -- Supply Chain Execution (SCE) -- Other Supply Chain Technologies -- Current and Future Trends in Supply Chain Software -- Short-Term Supply Chain Technology Trends -- Emerging Supply Chain Technology Trends -- ch. 5 Supply Chain Network Optimization -- Strategic Planning Level -- Tactical Planning Level -- Operational Planning Level -- Importance of the Supply Chain Network -- The Location Decision and Its Impact on Value -- How and Why Network Optimization Technology Can Help Enable a Lean Supply Chain -- Network Optimization Technology -- Technology Options -- Supply Chain Network Optimization Technology Case Studies -- Case 1: North American Industrial Manufacturer Optimizes Its Distribution Network -- Case 2: Semiconductor Manufacturer Re-Designs Its Global Supply Chain Network -- ch. 6 Demand Forecasting Systems -- A Lean Approach to Forecasting -- Typical Forecasting Process -- Lean Forecasting Process -- Forecasting Technology Options and Requirements -- Lean Forecasting Technology Case Studies -- Case 1: Caribou Coffee Automates Forecasting Process with Logility Software -- Case 2: Butterball Uses JDA Software to Improve Its Forecasting Process -- Case 3: Kimberly-Clark Integrates Point of Sale (POS) Information to Improve Its Resupply Process with Retailers -- ch. 7 Master Production Scheduling -- Master Production Schedule (MPS) Defined -- Lean Scheduling -- MPS/Production Planning Technology Options and Requirements -- Lean and ERP for Production Planning: A Fine Balancing Act -- Lean Production Planning and Technology Case Studies -- Case 1: Energy Bar Company Upgrades Production Planning Technology -- Case 2: Global Raw Materials Supplier Integrates MPS Process to Minimize Waste -- Case 3: Nestle Innovates Its Milk Production Planning -- Case 4: Durabuilt Windows and Doors Balances Lean and ERP for Production Planning -- ch. 8 Sales and Operations Planning (S8r0P) -- Sales and Operations Planning (S&OP) Defined -- S&OP and Lean -- Working Together -- S&OP/Aggregate Planning Technology -- Lean S&OP/Aggregate Planning and Technology Case Studies -- Case 1: Infineon Technologies AG Takes Planning to the Next Level with JDA S&OP -- Case 2: Accelerated S&OP Collaboration at Lance -- Case 3: Continental Mills Increases Productivity with S&OP Process -- Case 4: Radisys Improves S&OP Process, Supporting Tools Rapidly After Outsourcing Strategy Leads to Real Challenges -- ch. 9 Material Requirements Planning (MRP) -- Procurement and Purchasing Defined -- The Purchasing Process -- Types of Business Purchasing -- Material Requirements Planning Described -- Lean and Material Requirements Planning -- Material Requirements Planning Technology -- Lean MRP and Technology Case Studies -- Case 1: Gables Engineering Moves to a "Real" MRP System -- Case 2: Transport Data Systems-A Picture-Perfect MRP Implementation Helps Traffic Enforcement Camera Maker to Profitability -- Case 3: Raytheon Streamlines and Automates Its Material Requirement Planning Processes with Exostar's Supply Chain Platform -- ch. 10 Procurement (and e-Procurement) Systems -- The Procurement Process -- Automation of Procurement Documents and Processes -- Lean and Procurement -- Procurement Technology -- Lean Procurement and Technology Case Studies -- Case 1: Enabling Online Supplier Collaboration at Toshiba Semiconductor Company -- Case 2: Clariant-Increasing Interenterprise Productivity and Extending Its SAP Software Investment Value -- Case 3: New Purchase-to-Pay System Allows Smarter Processes at Atea -- ch. 11 Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Systems -- Lean Supply Chain and ERP Systems -- ERP Technology -- Lean Supply Chain and ERP Systems Case Studies -- Case 1: Radio Flyer Teamed with Ultra Consultants on ERP Selection, Business Process Improvement, and Implementation Management -- Case 2: Flexpipe Systems Inc. Works with IFS Applications for More Flexibility -- Case 3: Automotive Supplier Nissen Chemitec America Accelerates Lean Operations with IQMS ERP -- ch. 12 Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) -- The Role of MES in Today's Competitive Environment -- Manufacturing Execution Systems and Lean -- MES, Lean, and Visual Management Systems -- Lean Supply Chain and Manufacturing Execution Systems Case Studies -- Case 1: Full Sail Brewing Taps Manufacturing Intelligence to Enhance Brewing Process -- Case 2: Merck Sharp & Dohme (MSD) Pharmaceutical Asian Factory Implements MES -- Case 3: EZ-MES Automates Production Tracking System at a High-Power Laser Company -- ch. 13 Short-Term Scheduling -- Short-Term Scheduling Process -- Continuous Versus Discrete Industry Scheduling -- Scheduling in Service Industries -- Lean Short-Term Scheduling -- Advanced Planning and Scheduling (APS) Systems -- Advanced Planning and Scheduling Systems Technology -- Advanced Planning and Scheduling Systems Technology Case Studies -- Case 1: Auto Parts Manufacturer Chooses Asprova for Its Good User Interface Reduces Labor of Adjusting the Schedule -- Case 2: Mueller Stoves Reduces the Assembly Line Stops after Preactor Deployment -- ch. 14 Distribution Requirements Planning (DRP) -- Lean and DRP -- DRP Software -- DRP Case Studies -- Case 1: Ford Auto Logistics: Revving Up Service Parts Logistics Operations -- Case 2: Everlast Builds a Championship Company with New Product Lines -- Case 3: Canadian Tire Keeps Stores Rolling with Replenishment Program -- ch. 15 Transportation Management Systems (TMS) -- Lean and TMS -- Types of Savings and Improvements Resulting from the Use of a TMS -- Transportation Management System Technology -- TMS Case Studies -- Case #1: Papa John's Pizza Orders "Optimization Supreme" with Manhattan's Supply Chain Process Platform -- Case #2: A Leading Dairy Trims 18% from Transportation Costs Using Optimizer Software -- Case #3: Miller Brands UK Uses Transwide TMS to Manage Growing Transport Volumes -- ch. 16 Order-Fulfillment Systems -- Warehouse Management System (WMS) -- Order Management Systems (OMS) -- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Systems -- Lean and Order Fulfillment -- Order Placement -- Order Processing -- Order Preparation and Loading -- Order Delivery -- Faster Fulfillment -- Order Fulfillment Case Studies -- Case 1: Regional Pharmaceutical Distributor Requires Next Day Delivery -- Case 2: Whirlpool Spins Optimized Supply Chain with Help from Manhattan Associates -- Case 3: TAGG Logistics Combines Cadence WMS and ADSI Ship-IT for Real-Time Supply Chain Execution System -- ch. 17 Reverse Logistics Systems -- Lean Reverse Logistics -- Elements Key to a Lean Reverse Logistics Process -- Lean and Reverse Logistics Technology Cases -- Case 1: RTLTM Adds Up to Many Happy Returns for Philips Consumer Lifestyle -- Case 2: Nokia-Deployment of Global Service Strategy -- Case 3: Return Central-Reconstructed Network Yields Big Efficiencies, Faster Processes for National Home Improvement Retailer -- ch. 18 Measurements, Metrics, and Analytics -- Measurement and Analysis Process -- What and Where to Measure -- Using the SCOR Model to Measure and Control -- Supply Chain Analytics -- Supply Chain Decision Support and Analytics Technology -- Lean and Supply Chain Analytics Technology Case Studies -- Case 1: Business Intelligence in the Supply Chain-Better Decisions Through Data for Anna's Linens -- Case 2: Steel Manufacturer Improves Performance, Profitability -- Case 3: H.D. Smith: Why Analytics Is Eating the Supply Chain-New Tools Are Helping Companies Achieve the Supply Chain's "Holy Grails" -- ch. 19 Collaborative Supply Chain Systems -- The 80/20 Rule -- Collaboration for a Lean Supply Chain -- Integrated and Collaborative Technology for a Leaner Supply Chain -- Lean and Collaboration Technology Case Studies -- and Contents note continued: Case 1: Agilent Technologies-Comprehensive Supply Chain Visibility Across a Multi-Enterprise Supply Chain -- Case 2: Arrow Electronics Automates Replenishment Program with One Network's Real-Time Value Network -- ch. 20 Emerging Technologies and Their Potential Impacts on the Lean Supply Chain -- General Supply Chain Trends -- Supply Chain Software and Connectivity Technology Trends -- Supply Chain Software Best Practices -- Supply Chain Hardware Technology Trends -- Hardware Technologies for a Competitive Advantage in the Next Decade -- Future Supply Chain Technology Spending -- Looking Ahead.
- 9780134291451 (paperback) and 013429145X (paperback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19814450