Shakespeare suppressed : the uncensored truth about Shakespeare and his works : a book of evidence and explanation / by Katherine Chiljan
- Chiljan, Katherine V.
- San Francisco, CA : Faire Editions, ©2016.
- Second printed edition.
- Physical Description:
- 448 pages, 24 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 23 cm
- pt. 1. Shakespeare : greatness and great problems -- Literary supreme, supreme literary mystery -- A mess of genius : Shakespeare's early printed texts -- Shakespeare problems the professor still cannot solve -- The sonnets and other puzzle-poems -- pt. 2. The Stratford Man as Shakespeare, Lifetime : the professor's evidence -- The "Stratford Man" : the faith-based favorite -- The "upstart Crow" and the Stratford Man : no relation -- Upstart Crow uproar, and a few hostile witnesses -- pt. 3. The Stratford Man as Shakespeare, Posthumous : the professor's evidence -- The first folio fraud -- A Pembroke and Jonson production -- The Stratford monument : ruse and reincarnation -- Folio feedback -- pt. 4. The real Stratford Man and the real Shakespeare -- Portrayals of the Stratford Man in contemporary comedies (1598-1601) -- The great author's portrayal of the Stratford Man -- Shakespeare satirized : Willobie His Avisa (1594) -- Overlooked commentary about Shakespeare by his contemporaries (1589-1614) -- pt. 5. Conjectures and dares -- The deliberate mix-up : the great author with the Stratford Man. Why? -- "Simple truth suppress'd" : a unified solution -- Dare the Shakespeare professor -- Appendix A : 93 "too early" allusions to Shakespeare's plays (1562 to 1606) -- Appendix B : Robert Greene's letter to his "playmaker" friends in Groats-worth of Wit (1592) -- Appendix C : Henry Chettle's letter in Kind-Heart's Dream (1592) -- Appendix D : Anonymous letter to the reader, Troilus and Cressida (1609) -- Appendix E : Shakespeare's two poems in Love's Martyr (1601) -- Appendix F : Thomas Heywood's letter in Apology for Actors (1612) -- Appendix G : The first folio preface (1623), a transcription -- Appendix H : Poems : Written by Wil. Shake-Speare. Gent. (1640), prefatory verses.
- 9780982940549 (pbk.) and 0982940548 (pbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 409-441) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19817592