Warrior pursuits [electronic resource] : noble culture and civil conflict in early modern France / Brian Sandberg
- Sandberg, Brian, 1968-
- Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- xxx, 393 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Prologue -- pt. 1. Profession of arms -- The great quantity of nobility that is found here : Southern France and its warrior elite -- The grandeur and magnificence of his household : noble households and kinship -- He had no helping himself to money : crédit and noble finances -- pt. 2. Bonds of nobility -- With the assistance of my particular friends : clientage and friendship -- The dignity and authority of their charges : officeholding and political culture -- Actions the most perilous being the most honorable : honor and courage -- pt. 3. Culture of revolt -- The call to arms from all quarters : rituals of arming -- A great multitude of soldiers : personal armies -- The zeal of this nobility : violent performances.
- Nobility—France, Southern—History—17th century
- Elite (Social sciences)—France, Southern—History—17th century
- Soldiers—France, Southern—History—17th century
- Militarism—France, Southern—History—17th century
- Violence—France, Southern—History—17th century
- Social conflict—France, Southern—History—17th century
- Political culture—France, Southern—History—17th century
- France, Southern—Social conditions—17th century
- France, Southern—Politics and government—17th century
- France—History—Bourbons, 1589-1789
- 9780801897290 (hardcover : alk. paper)
0801897297 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20039507