Fritz Bennewitz in India : intercultural theatre with Brecht and Shakespeare / Joerg Esleben ; with Rolf Rohmer and David G. John
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I Fritz Bennewitz on His Work in India -- 1.The 1970s -- Brechtian Experiments -- Historical Junctures -- New Delhi, 1970: Brecht, The Threepenny Opera -- Mumbai, 1973: Brecht, The Caucasian Chalk Circle -- New Delhi, 1979: Brecht on Trial and Brecht's Mr. Puntila and his Man Matti -- 2.The Early 1980s -- Firsts, Lows, and Highs -- Kolkata, 1980: Brecht, The Life of Galileo -- New Delhi, 1981: Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream -- Bangalore, 1982: Brecht, Mr. Puntila and his Man Matti -- New Delhi, 1982: Brecht, The Caucasian Chalk Circle -- 3.The Mid-1980s -- Brecht and the Bard in Bhopal -- Bhopal, 1983: Brecht, The Caucasian Chalk Circle -- New Delhi, 1983: Shakespeare, Othello and Brecht, The Life of Galileo -- New Delhi, 1984/5: Shakespeare, Hamlet and Sophocles/Brecht, Antigone -- Bhopal, 1985: Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream -- Bhopal, 1987: Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew -- 4.The Late 1980s and Early 1990s -- Gaining a Village, Losing a Country -- Heggodu, 1989: Brecht, The Good Person of Sichuan -- New Delhi, 1989/90: Volker Braun, Great Peace and Shakespeare, Twelfth Night -- Heggodu, 1990: Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream -- New Delhi, 1990: Shakespeare, The Tempest -- Heggodu, 1991: Shakespeare, Twelfth Night -- Mysore, 1991: Chekhov, The Cherry Orchard -- Lucknow and Dhaka (Bangladesh), 1992/3 -- Mumbai, 1993/4 -- Goethe, Faust I -- pt. II Perspectives on Fritz Bennewitz in India -- 5.Perspectives from Bennewitz's Partners in India -- Fritz Bennewitz: A Character Sketch and Interview / K.V. Subbanna -- Interview Responses / Amal Allana -- Samik Bandyopadhyay -- Akshara K.V. -- Prasanna -- Anuradha Kapur -- 6.Essays on Bennewitz in India -- Intersections: Fritz Bennewitz's Biography and His Intercultural Work / Rolf Rohmer -- Bennewitz in India: Politics, Brecht, and the Human Touch / David G. John -- Chronology of Bennewitz's Stays and Projects in South Asia and of His Indian Projects in Germany -- Glossary of Theatre Terms, Institutions, and Cultural References.
- "This volume offers the first comprehensive analysis of the work of East German theatre director Fritz Bennewitz in India between 1970 and 1994. Joerg Esleben has gathered together many of Bennewitz's own writings, most published for the first time, in which he reflects on his production of plays by Bertolt Brecht, Shakespeare, Goethe, Chekhov, and Volker Braun. By translating these writings into English, the editors have provided unprecedented access to Bennewitz's thinking about intercultural work in India. This material is illuminated by explanatory annotations, contextualized commentary, and critical perspectives from Bennewitz's former colleagues in India and other leading scholars. Through its kaleidoscope of perspectives, Fritz Bennewitz in India offers a significant counter to dominant models of Western theatrical interculturalism."--
- Bennewitz, Fritz, 1926-1995—Correspondence
- Mertes, Waltraut—Correspondence
- Bennewitz, Fritz, 1926-1995—Travel—India
- Bennewitz, Fritz, 1926-1995—Criticism and interpretation
- Theater—India—History—20th century
- Theatrical producers and directors—Germany—Correspondence
- Theatrical producers and directors—India—Correspondence
- Intercultural communication in the performing arts
- India—Description and travel
- 9781487500382 (cloth) and 1487500386 (cloth)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 349-355) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20040282