Multicultural cities : Toronto, New York, and Los Angeles / Mohammad Abdul Qadeer
- Qadeer, Mohammad A.
- Toronto ; Buffalo ; London : University of Toronto Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxi, 356 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
- Cultures and the city -- Multiculturalism : diversity rights and common ground -- Making multicultural cities -- Social geography of multicultural cities -- Ethnicity and urban economy -- The patterns of community life -- Experiences of living in multicultural cities -- Political incorporation and diversity -- The pluralism of urban services -- Urban planning for cultural diversity -- Imagining multicultural cities.
- "What defines a multicultural city? Policy? Geography? Demography? In Multicultural Cities, Mohammad Abdul Qadeer offers a tour of three of North America's premier multicultural metropolises--Toronto, New York, and Los Angeles-- that demonstrates the critical qualities that make these cities multicultural."--Provided by publisher.
"Guided by the perspective that multiculturalism is the combination of cultural diversity with a common ground of values and institutions, Qadeer examines the social geography, economy, and everyday life of each metropolitan area. His analysis spans the divide between Canada, where multiculturalism is official government policy, and the United States, where it is not. A comprehensive investigation of how some of today's leading majority-minority cities thrive, written by a keen observer of North American urban life, Multicultural Cities is an important complement to any discussion about how cities can and should accommodate diversity."--
- Multiculturalism—New York (State)—New York
- Multiculturalism—California—Los Angeles
- Multiculturalisme—New York (État)—New York
- Multiculturalisme—California—Los Angeles
- California—Los Angeles
- New York (State)—New York
- 9781442630130 (cloth)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 309-329) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20046012