Microbial Ecology of Extreme Environments [electronic resource] / edited by Caroline Chénard, Federico M. Lauro
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- XV, 245 pages 17 illustrations : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Chénard, Caroline, Lauro, Federico M., and SpringerLink (Online service)
- Introduction -- Ecogenomics of Deep-Ocean Microbial Bathytypes -- Adaptations of cold- and pressure-loving bacteria to the deep-sea environment: cell envelope and flagella -- Microbial electron transport in the deep subsurface -- Metagenomics of hyperthermophilic environments: biodiversity and biotechnology -- Crenarchaeal viruses of hot springs: diversity, ecology and co-evolution -- New insights into the microbial diversity of polar desert soils: a biotechnological perspective -- Exploring the viral ecology of high latitude aquatic systems -- The nature and relevance of solvent stress in microbes and mechanisms of tolerance -- Clouds: a transient and stressing habitat for microorganisms.
- This book explores microbial lifestyles, biochemical adaptations, and trophic interactions occurring in extreme environments. By summarizing the latest findings in the field it provides a valuable reference for future studies. Spark ideas for biotechnological and commercial exploitation of microbiomes at the extremes of life are presented. Chapters on viruses complement this highly informative book. In a vertical journey through the microbial biosphere it covers aspects of cold environments, hot environments, extreme saline environments, and extreme pressure environments, and more. From the deep sea, through polar deserts, up to the clouds in the air - the diversity of microbial life in all habitats is described, explored, and comprehensively reviewed. Possible biotechnical applications are discussed. This book aims to provide a useful reference for those who want to start a research program in extreme microbiology and, hopefully, inspire new research directions. .
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
View MARC record | catkey: 20046728