Achieving Consensus in Robot Swarms [electronic resource] : Design and Analysis of Strategies for the best-of-n Problem / by Gabriele Valentini
- Valentini, Gabriele
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- XIV, 146 pages 46 illustrations, 37 illustrations in color : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- SpringerLink (Online service)
- Introduction -- Part 1:Background and Methodology -- Discrete Consensus Achievement in Artiﬁcial Systems -- Modular Design of Strategies for the Best-of-n Problem -- Part 2:Mathematical Modeling and Analysis -- Indirect Modulation of Majority-Based Decisions -- Direct Modulation of Voter-Based Decisions -- Direct Modulation of Majority-Based Decisions -- Part 3:Robot Experiments -- A Robot Experiment in Site Selection -- A Robot Experiment in Collective Perception -- Part 4:Discussion and Annexes -- Conclusions -- Background on Markov Chains.
- This book focuses on the design and analysis of collective decision-making strategies for the best-of-n problem. After providing a formalization of the structure of the best-of-n problem supported by a comprehensive survey of the swarm robotics literature, it introduces the functioning of a collective decision-making strategy and identiﬁes a set of mechanisms that are essential for a strategy to solve the best-of-n problem. The best-of-n problem is an abstraction that captures the frequent requirement of a robot swarm to choose one option from of a ﬁnite set when optimizing beneﬁts and costs. The book leverages the identiﬁcation of these mechanisms to develop a modular and model-driven methodology to design collective decision-making strategies and to analyze their performance at different level of abstractions. Lastly, the author provides a series of case studies in which the proposed methodology is used to design different strategies, using robot experiments to show how the designed strategies can be ported to different application scenarios.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Part Of:
- Springer eBooks
View MARC record | catkey: 20046907