The brain : what everyone needs to know / Gary L. Wenk
- Wenk, Gary Lee
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 177 pages ; 21 cm.
- What everyone needs to know
- Machine generated contents note: 1.What is a memory? -- How are memories made? -- Do I need to pay attention? -- Why do I forget some things but not others? -- How are memories recalled? -- Do memories last forever? -- What is amnesia? -- How does the brain create a memory? -- Why are patients with Alzheimer's disease so forgetful? -- How is the memory loss treated? -- What does a memory look like? -- How does nicotine influence brain function? -- 2.Why do I feel this way? -- What is fear? -- Why are close-talkers so frightening? -- What is depression? -- How is depression treated? -- Why do you sleep so poorly when you are depressed? -- Why is depression so common? -- What is the role of serotonin in depression? -- What is bipolar disorder? -- What is schizophrenia? -- Why do schizophrenics hear voices? -- Are dolphins schizophrenic? -- How is schizophrenia treated? -- 3.How do food and drugs influence my brain? -- Why do plants affect the human brain? -- How do we become addicted to specific foods and drugs? -- Can I blame it on my parents? -- Why am I addicted to caffeine? -- What should I eat to feel better? -- How do I stop eating so much food? -- Is there a good time of day to eat? -- What about carbohydrates? -- What about fats? -- How does obesity affect brain function and development? -- Why do I like to eat? -- Why do I crave fat and sugar? -- Are we born destined to become obese? -- How do my gut bugs keep my brain healthy? -- Can a good diet make you smarter? -- What about an apple a day? -- Will you lose weight by eating these fruits? -- Are spices good for my brain? -- How do flavonoids benefit us? -- Eat chocolate! -- Brain toxins in the diet -- 4.Why do I sleep and dream? -- What is sleep? -- Why is sleep so important? -- What other daily rhythms do I experience? -- What happens when I disrupt these rhythms? -- How are eating and sleeping related? -- How does your brain control its rhythms? -- Why do I sometimes wake up paralyzed? -- Why do some people act out their dreams? -- What happens when I am dreaming? -- Why do I sometimes dream that I am being buried alive? -- Are children's dreams different? -- What is a lucid dream? -- How long do dreams last? -- Does it matter what time I get up or go to bed? -- Does it matter who I sleep with? -- Why do I need that morning cup of coffee? -- Can I get too much sleep? -- What if I do not get enough sleep? -- What happens to sleep with aging? -- 5.How does the brain age? -- When does age-related senescence begin? -- When am I going to die? -- How can I live longer? -- How does eating age me? -- How does caloric restriction work? -- Which brain region suffers the most with aging? -- How can I reduce inflammation in my brain? -- What is Parkinson's disease? -- How does my nervous system change as I get older? -- What happens to my vision? -- What happens to my hearing? -- What happens to my balance? -- What happens to the taste of food? -- Why do things feel differently? -- What can you do to slow aging? -- How much should you restrict your diet? -- What is the consequence of being overweight as I get older? -- What can you do about your aging brain? -- Do miracle cures for brain aging exist? -- Why do so many people fall under the spell of charlatans? -- What about Ginkgo? -- What is pseudoscience? -- What is the placebo effect? -- 6.How does my brain accomplish so much? -- Are near-death visits to heaven real? -- How do nutrients and drugs get into my brain? -- How is the cortex organized? -- Why aren't human brains bigger? -- How does the cortex develop? -- How do male and female brains differ? -- Are bigger brains always better? -- What is neurogenesis? -- How do we think so fast? -- What is multiple sclerosis? -- Does my brain work perfectly all of the time? -- What are neurotransmitters and what do they do for me? -- How is my brain organized? -- What happens in the front half of my brain? -- How does my brain produce speech? -- What happens in the back half of my brain? -- Why do I daydream? -- Why does the brain devote so much time to daydreaming? -- What is the function of the temporal lobe? -- What is a seizure? -- What is a hallucination? -- What is synesthesia? -- What happens in the parietal lobe? -- Where is my cingulate gyrus and why should I care? -- What is "the little brain" and what does it do? -- How does my right brain talk to my left brain? -- Final thought.
- 9780190603397 (paperback ; alkaline paper)
0190603399 (paperback ; alkaline paper)
9780190603403 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
0190603402 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 161-170) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2016
View MARC record | catkey: 20048693