An introduction to Ford Madox Ford / edited by Ashley Chantler & Rob Hawkes
- Farnham, Surrey : Ashgate Publishing Limited, 
- Physical Description:
- xi, 226 pages ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Chantler, Ashley and Hawkes, Rob
- Introduction: The brilliant For Madox Ford / Ashley Chantler and Rob Hawkes -- Ford's lives / Max Saunders -- Ford and Conrad / John Attridge -- Towards The Good Soldier: Ford's Edwardian fiction / Rob Hawkes -- Ford and modernism / Seamus O'Malley -- Ford's literary impressionism / Laura Colombino -- The Good Soldier / Martin Stannard -- Ford among the 'movements, magazines and manifestos' / Stephen Rogers -- In the 'Twentieth-century fashion': Ford and modern poetry / Paul Skinner -- Ford and the First World War / Andrew Frayn -- Parade's end / Isabelle Brasme -- Ford and the city / Angus Wrenn -- Ford and gender / Sara Haslam -- Ford and national identity / Christine Berberich -- Ford and politics / Andrzej Ga̜siorek.
- For students and readers new to the work of Ford Madox Ford, this volume provides a comprehensive introduction to one of the most complex, important and fascinating authors. Bringing together leading Ford scholars, the volume places Ford's work in the context of significant literary, artistic and historical events and movements. Individual essays consider Ford's theory of literary Impressionism and the impact of the First World War; illuminate The Good Soldier and Parade's End; engage with topics such as the city, gender, national identity and politics; discuss Ford as an autobiographer, poet, propagandist, sociologist, Edwardian and modernist; and show his importance as founding editor of the groundbreaking English Review and transatlantic review. The volume encourages detailed close reading of Ford's writing and illustrates the importance of engaging with secondary sources. -- from back cover.
- 9781472469083 (hardcover ; alk. paper)
1472469089 (hardcover ; alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the The Hastings Libraries Endowment; 2016
- Endowment Note:
- The Hastings Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 20049076