Authority and spectacle in medieval and early modern Europe : essays in honor of Teofilo F. Ruiz / edited by Yuen-Gen Liang and Jarbel Rodriguez
- Part I. Authority in Borders and Conquests -- A Border Policy? : Louis IX and the Spanish Connection / William C. Jordan -- The King, the Coin, and the Word : Imagining and Enacting Castilian Frontiers in the Late Medieval Iberia / Claire Gilbert -- An End to Conquests : Military Debates and Political Culture in Fifteenth- and Sixteenth-Century Spain / Xavier Gil -- "All Things to All Men" : Political Messianism in Late Medieval and Early Modern Spain / Bryan Givens -- Part II. Authority in Texts, Taxes, and Penury -- Transmitting Urgency in the Romance : An Example of Strategic Codeswitching in the Crown of Aragon's Thirteenth-Century Royal Chancery / Antonio Zaldivar -- The Issues of Fiscal Systems in Castilian Towns from 1369 to 1474 / Denis Menjot -- Authority and Poverty in Late-Medieval Spain / Francisco Garcia-Serrano -- Part III. Spectacles of Purity in the Body and in the Realm -- The Saint at the Gate : Giving Relics a "Royal Entry" in Eleventh to Twelfth-Century France / Kate Craig -- Medieval Cuisines and the Seasons of the Year / Paul Freedman -- Medieval Media and Minorities : Jews and Muslims in the Cantigas de Santa María / David Nirenberg -- Part IV. Spectacles of Empire and Identity -- Poor Colors, Rich Colors : Spanish Clothing in the Early Sixteenth Century / Hilario Casado Alonso -- Mobilizing Sanctity : Pius II and the Head of Andrew in Rome / Maya Maskarinec -- Nuestros Españoles : The First Spaniards and the first Hapsburg Chronicles / Katherine van Liere -- Muy grandes hombres de acaballo : Spanish horsemanship a la jineta and Bernardo Vargas Machuca's New Science / Kathryn Renton -- Epilogue: The Workings of Power : Authority and Festivals in Medieval and Early Modern Europe / Teofilo F. Ruiz -- Bibliography of Teofilo F. Ruiz publications.
- "This volume celebrates Ruiz's scholarship. The macro- and micro-level studies he has realized on regional and local communities, different strata of society, and spectacles of daily life have played a central role in developing the field of Spanish and European histories. These essays span Castile, other Iberian states, Europe, the Mediterranean, and Latin America from the twelfth to the sixteenth centuries"--Provided by publisher.
- Authority—Social aspects—Spain—History
- Authority—Social aspects—Europe—History
- Spectacular, The—Social aspects—Spain—History
- Spectacular, The—Social aspects—Europe—History
- Political culture—Spain—History
- Political culture—Europe—History
- Castile (Spain)—Social life and customs
- Spain—Social life and customs
- Europe—Social life and customs—To 1492
- Europe—Social life and customs—16th century
- 9781472454577 hardcover alkaline paper
147245457X hardcover alkaline paper
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20052211