Hardrock mining on federal lands / Committee on Hardrock Mining on Federal Lands, Committee on Earth Resources, Board on Earth Sciences and Resources, Commission on Geosciences, Environment, and Resources, National Research Council
- Washington, D.C. : National Academy Press, 1999.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 247 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- National Research Council (U.S.). Committee on Hardrock Mining on Federal Lands
- INTRODUCTION: Policy context -- Approach to the study -- Federal lands and hardrock mining -- Hardrock mining -- Potential environmental impacts of hardrock mining -- Changing contexts -- Organization of the report -- EXISTING REGULATORY FRAMEWORK: Statutory policies for management -- Environmental regulation -- Relationships among state and federal environmental regulations -- Time requirements for environmental review and permitting -- ADEQUACY OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION: Elements of a regulatory program -- Regulatory issues -- Regulatory implementation issues -- Scientific issues -- The need for early stakeholder consultation -- Reclamation, closure and post-closure management -- Regulatory efficiency issues -- Public involvement issues -- Summary -- THE NATURE OF MINING: Description of ore deposits -- The mining process -- The uranium industry -- POTENTIAL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS OF HARDROCK MINING: Introduction -- Cumulative effects -- Long-term monitoring -- Water quality -- Water quantity -- Aquatic biota -- Landscape or ecosystem alterations -- Terrestrial vegetation -- Riparian vegetation -- Wetlands: hydrological and surface changes -- Soil -- Terrestrial wildlife -- Air quality -- Noise -- EXISTING REGULATORY REQUIREMENTS -- RESEARCH NEEDS: Water quality -- Hydrology -- Ecology -- Cumulative impacts -- Alternative mining and pollution prevention methods -- Mining technologies for the future -- Summary -- FINANCIAL ASSURANCE: Activities and events covered -- Amount of financial asurance -- Types of financial assurance -- Conditions for release.
- "This study was supported by the Bureau of Land Management, Department of the Interior, under assistance award No. 1434-HQ-97-AG-01886"--T.p. verso.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 125-132).
- Other Forms:
- Also available online.
View MARC record | catkey: 2009829