Becoming centaur : eighteenth-century masculinity and English horsemanship / Monica Mattfeld
- Mattfeld, Monica, 1982-
- University Park, Pennsylvania : The Pennsylvania State University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xii, 276 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Animalibus: of animals and cultures ; vol. 9
- William Cavendish and Hobbesian horsemanship -- Riding houses and polite equestrianism -- Astley's amphitheatre -- Henry William Bunbury and the mock manuals of horsemanship.
- "Explores the history of horse-human relationships over the long eighteenth century, and how these relationships in turn influenced performances of gender. Examines the agential influence of horses in their riders' lives, horses on stage and the early circus, and the politicization of human-animal being"--Provided by publisher.
- 9780271075778 hardcover ; alkaline paper and 0271075775 hardcover ; alkaline paper
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20267027