Discourse particles : formal approaches to their syntax and semantics / edited by Josef Bayer and Volker Struckmeier
- Berlin ; Boston : Walter de Gruyter GmbH, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- vi, 334 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Bayer, Josef and Struckmeier, Volker
- Joseph Bayer and Volker Struckmeier: The status quo of research on discourse particles in syntax and semantics -- Markus Egg and Johannes Mursell: The syntax and semantics of discourse particles -- Waltraud Paul and Victor Junnan Pan: What you see is what you get: Chinese sentence-final particles as head-final complementizers -- Nathalie Scherf: The syntax of Swedish modal particles -- Jóhannes Gísli Jónsson: Discourse particles and hvað-exclamatives -- Hans-Martin Gärtner: Root infinitives and modal particles. An interim report -- Daniel Gutzmann: Modal particles `"modal particles (= modal particles) -- Yvonne Viesel: Discourse particles "embedded": German ja in adjectival phrases -- Sonja Müller: Combining ja and doch: A case of discourse structural iconicity -- Werner Abraham: Discourse marker = discourse particle = thetical = modal particle? A futile comparison -- Rosemarie Lühr: Stressed and unstressed particles in Old Indic -- Svetlana Petrova: On the status and the interpretation of the left-peripheral sentence particles inu and ia in Old High German.
- In traditional grammars up to the 20th century, discourse particles recieved very little attention. Only in the last century did some publications discuss discourse particles - and even then only from the perspective of their discourse and pragmatic functions. The current volume presents 11 new articles that take a fresh look at discourse particles from the perspective of formal syntax and semantics, both diachronically and synchronically.
- 9783110488821 hardcover alk. paper
3110488825 hardcover alk. paper
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20275749