Polygraphice: or the arts of drawing, engraving, etching, limning, painting, washing, varnishing, gilding, colouring, dying, beautifying and perfuming. : In four books. Exemplified, in the drawing of men, women, landskips, countreys, and figures of various forms ; the way of engraving, etching and limning, with all their requisites and ornaments ; the depicting of the most eminent pieces of antiquities ; the paintings of the antients ; washing of maps, globes or pictures ; the dying of cloth, silk, horns, bones, wood, glass, stones and metals ; the varnishing, colouring and gilding thereof, according to any purpose or intent: the painting, colouring and beautifying of the face, skin and hair ; the whole doctrine of perfumes (never published till now,) together with the original, advancement and perfection of the art of painting. To which is added a discourse of perspective and chiromancy
- Salmon, William, 1644-1713
- Additional Titles:
Arts of drawing, engraving, etching, limning, painting, washing, varnishing, gilding, colouring, dying, beautifying, and perfuming
- London : Printed by Robert White, for John Crumpe, at the Sign of the Three Bibles in St. Paul's Church-Yard, and are to be sold by Charles Passenger at the Seven Stars on London-Bridge, 1678.
- The fourth edition, with many large additions: / adorned with sculptures: the like never yet extant. By William Salmon philalēthēs. professor of physick.
- Physical Description:
- 10 unnumbered pages, 407 pages, 17 unnumbered pages, 20 unnumbered leaves of plates : illustrations, portrait ; 8vo
- Additional Creators:
- Sherwin, William, active 1670-1710
White, Robert, active 1639-1677
Crump, John, active 1673-1682
- Title page in red and black; "philalēthēs" in Greek characters.
With an additional title page, engraved (plate), dated 1675, reading: "Polygraphice or the arts of drawing limning painting & c", signed: "W. Sherwin fe."
Includes index, and a final page of publisher's advertisements.
Title page within simple double rule border.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microfilm. Ann Arbor, Mich.: University Microfilms International, 1990. 1 microfilm reel 35 mm. (Early English books, 1641-1700; 2042:1).
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700 (2nd ed.), S447
View MARC record | catkey: 20279143