Modernism in Scandinavia : art, architecture and design / Charlotte Ashby
- Ashby, Charlotte, 1979-
- Additional Titles:
- Title from CIP: Scandinavian modern
- London ; New York, NY : Bloomsbury Academic, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- ix, 243 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 24 cm
- Up to 1890--The Foundations of Modernism -- 1890-1910--A New Style for a New Age -- 1910-1930--Classicism and the Universal Vision -- 1930-1950--Modernism : Better Things for Everyday Life -- 1950-1970--Post-war Modernism.
- "Scandinavia is a region associated with modernity: modern design, modern living and a modern welfare state. This new history of modernism in Scandinavia offers a picture of the complex reality that lies behind the label: a modernism made up of many different figures, impulses and visions. It places the individuals who have achieved international fame, such as Edvard Munch and Alvar Aalto in a wider context, and through a series of case studies, provides a rich analysis of the art, architecture and design history of the Nordic region, and of modernism as a concept and mode of practice. Scandinavian Modern addresses the decades between 1890 and 1970 and presents an intertwined history of modernism across the region. Charlotte Ashby gives a rationale for her focus on those countries which share an interrelated history and colonial past, but also stresses influences from outside the region, such as the English Arts and Crafts movement and the impact of emergent American modernism. Her richly illustrated account guides the reader through key historical periods and cultural movements, with case studies illuminating key art works, buildings, designed products and exhibitions"--
- Modernism (Art)—Scandinavia
- Design—Scandinavia—History—19th century
- Design—Scandinavia—History—20th century
- DESIGN—History & Criticism
- ART—History—Modern (late 19th Century to 1945)
- ART—History—Contemporary (1945- )
- ARCHITECTURE—History—Modern (late 19th Century to 1945)
- ARCHITECTURE—History—Contemporary (1945- )
- Modernism (Art)
- 9781474224307 (pb)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20494256