Sea ice / edited by David N. Thomas
- Chichester, UK ; Hoboken, NJ : John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., 2017.
- Copyright Date:
- Third edition.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 652 pages : illustrations, maps ; 26 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Thomas, David N. (David Neville), 1962-
- Overview of sea ice growth and properties / Chris Petrich & Hajo Eicken -- Sea ice thickness distribution / Christian Haas -- Snow in the sea-ice system : friend or foe? / Matthew Sturm & Robert A. Massom -- Sea ice and sunlight / Donald K. Perovich -- The sea ice-ocean boundary layer / Miles G. McPhee -- The atmosphere over sea ice / Ola Persson & Timo Vihma -- Sea ice and arctic ocean oceanography / Finlo Cottier, Mike Steele & Frank Nielsen -- Oceanography and sea ice in the southern ocean / Michael P. Meredith & Mark A. Brandon -- Methods of satellite remote sensing of sea ice / Gunnar Spreen & Stefan Kern -- Gaining (and losing) antarctic sea ice : variability, trends and mechanisms / Sharon Stammerjohn & Ted Maksym -- Losing arctic sea ice : observations of the recent decline and the long-term context / Walt N. Meier -- Sea ice in earth system models / Dirk Notz & Cecilia M. Bitz -- Sea ice as a habitat for bacteria, archaea and viruses / Jody W. Deming & R. Eric Collins -- Sea ice as a habitat for primary producers / Kevin R. Arrigo -- Sea ice as a habitat for micrograzers / David A. Caron, Rebecca J. Gast & Marie-Eve Garneau -- Sea ice as a habitat for macrograzers / Bodil A. Bluhm, Kerrie M. Swadling & Rolf Gradinger -- Nutrients, dissolved organic matter and exopolymers in sea ice / Klaus M. Meiners & Christine Michel -- Gases in sea ice / Jean-Louis Tison, Bruno Delille & Stathys Papadimitriou -- Transport and transformation of contaminants in sea ice / Feiyue Wang, Monika Pucko & Gary Stern -- Numerical models of sea ice biogeochemistry / Martin Vancoppenolla & Letizia Tedesco -- Arctic marine mammals and sea ice / Kristin L. Laidre & Eric V. Regehr -- Antarctic marine mammals and sea ice / Marthán N. Bester, Horst Bornemann & Trevor McIntyre -- A feathered perspective : the influence of sea ice on arctic marine birds / Nina J. Karnovsky & Maria V. Gavrilo -- Birds and antarctic sea ice / David Ainley, Eric J. Woehler & Amelie Lescroel -- Sea ice is our beautiful garden : indigenous perspectives on sea ice of sea ice in the arctic / Henry P. Huntington, Shari Gearheard, Lene Kielsen Holm, George Noongwook, Margaret Opie & Joelie Sanguya -- Advances in palaeo sea-ice estimation / Leanne Armand, Alexander Ferry & Amy Leventer -- Ice in subarctic seas / Hermanni Kaartokallio, Mats A. Granskog, Harri Kuosa & Jouni Vainio.
- Over the past 20 years, the study of the frozen Arctic and Southern Oceans and the subarctic seas has progressed at a remarkable pace. This third edition of Sea Ice gives an insight into the very latest understanding of how sea ice is formed, how we measure (and model) its extent, the biology that lives within and is associated with sea ice, and the effect of climate change on its distribution. How sea ice influences the oceanography of underlying waters and the influences that sea ice has on humans living in Arctic regions are also discussed. --
Featuring 12 new chapters, this edition follows two previous editions (2001 and 2010), and the need for this latest update shows just how rapidly the science of sea ice is developing. The 27 chapters are written by a team of more than 50 of the world's leading experts in their fields. These combine to make the book the most comprehensive introduction to the physics, chemistry, biology and geology of sea ice that there is. --
David N. Thomas is Professor of Marine Biology and Head of the School of Ocean Sciences at Bangor University, Menai Bridge, UK. He is also a visiting Research Professor at the Marine Research Centre of the Finnish Environment Institute (SYKE), Helsinki, Finland. --Book Jacket.
- 9781118778388 hardcover
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20494847