Understanding James, understanding modernism / edited by David H. Evans
- New York : Bloomsbury Academic, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing, Inc., 2017.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 315 pages ; 25 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Evans, David Howell, 1956-
- Introduction: unstiffening all our theories: William James and the culture of modernism / David H. Evans -- Conceptualizing James. The character of consciousness / Owen Flanagan and Heather Wallace -- Redeeming the wild universe: William James's Will to believe / John J. Stuhr -- The psychology of religion: William James's The varieties of religious experience / Michael Bacon -- The human contribution: James and modernity in pragmatism and The meaning of truth / Alan Malachowski -- Ever not William James's A pluralistic universe / Barry Allen -- James's radical empiricism / James Campbell -- James and modernist culture. James and Bergson: fighting the beast intellectualism with metaphors / Rosa Slegers -- William James, Henry James and the turn toward modernism / Jill Kress Karn -- "Never reject anything. Nothing has been proved": William James and Gertrude Stein on time and language / David H. Evans -- The varieties of Robert Frost's religious experience / Mark Richardson -- Notes toward the specious present: James and Stevens / Kristen Case -- Modernist figures and James's pluralistic universe / Patricia Rae -- William James's stream of consciousness and the river of the unconscious Joyce and Proust / Gian Balsamo -- "That skilful but slow-moving arranger": habit in James and Proust / Lisi Schoenbach -- William James and Italian pragmatism / Giovanni Maddalena and Michela Bella -- James's pluralism and the problems of modern political and social thought / Robert Danisch.
- 9781501302749 (hardback : alk. paper)
1501302744 (hardback : alk. paper)
- Includes index.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20494979